The New Directory!

Well, I am very happy to announce that the project I've been toiling at for about a week seems to be in working order. May I present to you The Blankest Blank Blog Directory. This is a link exchange directory kinda like the one here but with a bunch of new features. Let me tell you about them.

Automatically Add Your Link: This directory is completely automated, once you fill out the necessary form your link will appear IMMEDIATELY. No more waiting a week for me to add it by hand.

Best Blog of the Day: After we finish the contest for "Bestest Blog of the Year," anyone who has joined (or joins afterwards) the directory will automatically be in the running for "Best Blog of the Day" from here on out. Instead of me and guest bloggers choosing them, winners will be chosen democratically by whoever has the best score! Winners of this award will have a special link on the Blankest Blank home page, a special icon next to their link in the directory, and the chance to go on to win "Best Blog of the Week," of the month, of the year, etc.

Randomly appear up front: I am building a script that will randomly be taking 5 blogs from the directory and displaying them on the home page. So even if someone doesn't check out the directory, your link may still have a chance to be clicked.

Directory with a Twist: Instead of just having the anchor text for your link be your blog's name, all links will be of the form "The _____est Blog." For example, "The Most Frequently Updated Blog" or "The Best Philadelphia Eagles Football Blog" or "The Yummiest Blog."

I had a few reasons for setting it up like this. First of all, I wanted this directory to be different from all the cookie cutter directories out there. More importantly was a closer look at the value of anchor text.

The anchor text of external links to your site is very important for determining your search engine results. For example one of my favorite blogs, "Flip This Body," a weight loss blog, already appears at #1 for Google searches of the term flip this body. This is because the majority of links pointing to Julie's site have this anchor text. But in my directory Julie's link could look something like this: The Thinnest Blog. Notice how the name of her blog still appears when you highlight the link. Also, having an important weight-loss word like "thinnest" in the anchor text, could help out future searches with that term.

So, that's that. I'm really excited for this Blog Directory. I hope you guys will check it out and let me know what you think. There's a free link in it for ya!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the directory, but I have a complaint about the new homepage.

Everything just seems scrunched together, and very user UN-friendly.

If you were someone who found you site on Google, and came to that home page you would be like, "What?"
Bobby Griffin said…
Hey Andrew,

Are you viewing the page on a 800x600 resolution? It looks good on every other resolution. I'll have to see what I can do, but these days on the internet people with that resolution is a minority.

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you!

Link Exchange Form